VSee: Internet speed requirements and recommendations
Published 02/24/2015 at 2:05am UTC
Page viewed 3134 times
For a standard video call, the minimum requirement is 1 megabyte per second (Mbps) upload and download speed, per person you will be connecting to. (e.g., for a group call of 3 total people, you will be connecting to 2 people, and will need at least 2 Mbps upload and download.)
For the best quality experience, we recommend having at least 1.5 megabytes per second (Mbps) upload and download speed, per person you will be connecting to.
If you are unsure of your connection's bandwidth, you can conduct a speed test using a third-party website such as SpeedTest.net (click on "Begin Test" to perform a free speed test--do not click on the button to "start a scan of your PC" because that's an advertisement).
Internet speed requirements vary depending on the equipment and settings (e.g., a high quality camera needs more bandwidth in order to support the additional data required of high resolution video), but in general:
- High quality video feeds one-way usually require 400 to 600 kilobytes per second (Kbps), so for the best quality two-person session, we recommend having at least 1.5 megabyte per second (Mbps) upload and download speed.
- Standard quality video feeds usually require 200 to 400 Kbps; if both participants are on Standard, we would recommend at least 1 Mbps.
- Low quality video feeds usually require 100 to 200 Kbps; if both participants are on Low, we would recommend at least 0.6 Mbps. (The audio quality will be fine, but the video feed will be very grainy on Low.)
Note: these estimates assume two-person sessions where screens and files are not being shared (as that requires additional bandwidth).
You may also be interested in these articles:
If you have (or your participant has) a lower internet capacity or older equipment, we recommend decreasing your (or their) starting video resolution.
To change your own starting video resolution
1. Click on the profile icon in the upper right hand corner and select your name from the drop-down menu.
2. From the "Video Resolution" menu, select "Standard" or (if a very poor connection or equipment) select "Low".
3. Use the "Save" button at the bottom of the page to save your settings.
To change your participant's starting video resolution
1. Click on the profile icon in the upper right hand corner and select "My Contacts" from the drop-down menu.
2. Click on the "Edit" button next to the contact you wish to edit.
3.. From the "Video Resolution" drop down menu, select "Standard" or (if a very slow connection or equipment) select "Low".
3. Use the "Save" button at the bottom of the page to save the settings for this contact.
To change your resolution during a session
To edit your video resolution during a session (so you can increase it if your connection is stable), please see:
This article was last reviewed by our Support team on February 23, 2015.